In the age of computerization, machine-human collaboration can unlock the full potential of our societies and future generations. It is in this way that artistic works with technologies create a deeper level of engagement and unique conversations beyond the vestige of traditional art experiences.
G. Scott Queen is an emerging research and conceptual artist who approaches the creation of physical and virtual works of art with a technologist's perspective. He employs new media and observer interaction to achieve expressive goals, utilizing generative and cybernetic programming, AI, custom computers, extended reality (AR, VR, Omniverse), interactive audio, video, and lighting in his installations.
The artist intentionally breaks away from traditional art-making tools in order to disrupt the commonality of historical works and provide a fresh perspective for public interaction. Each installation draws from theoretical research and writings, environmental data, open-source machine intelligence, and direct human touch to create ephemeral streams of data that coalesce into transformative physical and virtual works using new media techniques.
Queen's studio practice is built on his nearly decade-long software development experience, a degree in studio art, and several successful public works projects. His recent presentation of a multimedia experience at the 2023 Rail Trail Lights in Uptown Charlotte, as well as his inclusion in the Arts and Science Council (ASC) public artist directory, showcase his ability to envision and present innovative works of art.
- Public Art Incubator, Arts and Science Council Charlotte, NC, 2023
- Rail Trail Lights Award, Public works displayed in uptown Charlotte, NC, 2023
- Pedestrian Public Art Award, Public works placed in the heart of Wilmington, NC, 2012
Honors and Public Arts Awards
Brief description of work and process.
Queen's work intentionally breaks away from traditional art making tools as a means of interrupting the commonality of historical work and provides a new perspective for public interaction. With each installation, there is an inventory of effects derived from the collection of theoretical research and writings, environmental data, open source machine intelligence, and direct human touch. These ephemeral streams of data coalesce to create transformative physical and virtual works using new media techniques.
- Philosophy of Ethics and Aesthetics
- Artificial Synesthesia
- Generative Works
- Brain Network Interfaces
- 3D Printing
- Extended Reality (AR, VR, Omniverse)
- V-Art, Flux Galleries, Group Exhibition, 2023
- Rail Trail Lights presented by US Bank, Public Exhibition, US Bank Center City Partners, 2023
- Nature & Technology, Honorable Mention, Virtual Exhibition, Visionary Art Collective, 2022
- Augmented Reality, Charlotte Art League, Group Exhibition, 2022
- No Boundaries International Art Colony, Resident Exhibition, 2013
- NODA Studio Tours, North Davidson Art Association, 2013
- No Boundaries International Art Colony, Resident Exhibition, 2012
- State of the Art, Cameron Museum of Art, Group Exhibition, 2012
- Pedestrian Public Art Exhibition, City of Wilmington, 2012
- Undergraduate Exhibition, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 2012
- Larger than Life, Thrive Studios, 2011
- Define Surrealism, Thrive Studios, 2011
- Miniatures Show, Thrive Studios, 2011
- Live Painting, Multiple Installations, 2011-2012
- Electro Sensory Stimulus (ESS) Multimedia Installation, Multiple installations, 2011-2012
- No Boundaries International Art Colony, Resident Exhibition, 2011
- Student Art Exhibition, Cape Fear Community College, First Place Painting, 2010
- Professional Certification - XR (Extended Reality) Development, New York University, 2023
- Post-Bachelor's Studies, MicroMaster - Integrated Digital Media, New York University, Current
- Post-Bachelor's Studies, Aesthetics and Applied Ethics, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 2014
- Bachelor's, Studio Art and Design, University of North Carolina Wilmington, 2012
- AR/VR Development and 3D graphics, New York University Tandon School of Engineering, 2022-Current
- Creative Code, New York University, 2022
- SCRUM Master, Scrum Alliance, 2016
- Project Management Professional (PMP), TIA, 2016
- Project Management Certification, Wake Forest University, 2015
- Business Essentials Certification, Wake Forest University, 2015